If you use the Movie Pimp please consider helping me spend more time developing it by donating whatever you can and clicking on the embedded ads. Thanks.

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Movie Pimp

This is the inaugural post for Movie Pimp blog . I am excited to finally release the Movie Pimp. It's been working well for me for some time now (over a year), but I am sure there's still plenty of bugs once more people start using it.  Below are a couple of screen shots of the two main "views".

Movie Pimp was created to solve the problem of tracking movie files/rips of my Blu-Ray and DVD media and storing them on various hard drives. Beyond just keeping track of what movie was on what drive on particular host, I also wanted to be able to easily view information about the movie: plot summary, a "movie poster" picture etc. to help me choose what movie I wanted to watch that night.

Movie Pimp does this and much much more...I've started to added home theater front-end features to allow browsing by remote control and leveraging Window's "auto-launch" capabilities to basically:
1) Browse movies using either of the views shown below.
2) Select the movie and auto-launch it to begin automatic movie playback.

This can be done via mouse, keyboard or now remote control (I own a Harmony One, but any programmable remote will work)


It can scan a directory or disk and perform look-ups on all "recognized" files (customizable). This helps migrate to Movie Pimp as you can then quickly import all your movie files in a sorta "batch mode".

Say you just got a new hard drive and want to move some movies from an existing drive over to it? Movie Pimp can do that for you and then update it database to reflect the new drive and or host (important for auto-launching of movies).

It can help you figure out what source/hard drive has the available space to create or move a movie too.

and much much more.

Since I've finished the primary v1.0, it has reduced by movie archiving to:
  • Rip movie to ISO or M2TS or MKV or whatever format.
  • Browse for movie (typically via network UNC path)
  • Lookup movie using "smart" lookup
  • Movie is added to archive.
Organizing your movies is flexible. I maintain two different databases: one for my physical optical media and another for my movie files. However, Movie Pimp support "tagging" of movies and thus you can use one database and view only movies with a certain tag or order them by a certain tag.

Movie Pimp makes your pimping of your movies a snap! Spend more time watching your movies and not organizing or managing them.





No comments:

Post a Comment